Thursday, March 5, 2020

Marie Laveau - Eternal Queen of Voudou

Marie Laveau is the renowned Larenn Eternal (Eternal Queen) of American Voudou as it manifested in America's Creole milieu of 1800s New Orleans.

For me, she has been the Paragon of Spiritual Service, and the Mother and Superstar of my Voodou Heart.

Some say Marie Laveau is on her way to becoming a spiritual personage of the highest order. Many others (like me) know that she has actually reached that spiritual height and is now a Lwa.

While studying the Art, Science and Religion of  Voudou with Mambo Joleen Jackson, she told me that "Queen Marie sometimes walks with" me.  (She isn't my Lwa Met Tet, however).



I had a post card photo of a popular painting of Marie, and this, counter-posed with Mambo Joleen's statement, confused me.  It was my experience - starting at about age 4 - of Seeing a stately, light-skinned black woman - often present in the shimmering periphery of my vision.  

Until most recently, I've basically been instinctively following Madam Laveau's path of Service.  My Voodou Magickoreligious  practices are committed in service to those who are most in need, yet are least able to obtain such help.

It is a natural connection/extension of my vocation - having been an RN for decades, the last handfuls of years spent in caring for folks living out their lives behind locked doors, suffering with profound mental illnesses.  

  • The issues, needs and desires of people whose humanity is trapped in the interior bondage of psychosis are no different than those faced by ordinarily sane persons, and they're highly magnified by the mental/emotional disturbances through which they live their daily lives.

My Seeings of Madame Laveau were most frequently noticeable during the time I worked in a psychiatric "back-ward" (aka "snake-pit") where forensically psychotic, always potentially violent male patients were housed.  Due to their psychotic violence those poor fellows were never allowed outside that unit - which even had its own surgical suite.


A section of Marie Laveau's Tomb,
marked with Xs in petition and gratitude,
St. Louis Cemetery No. 1, New Orleans

Tho' I didn't yet know who she was at that time, I intuitively knew she was protecting me, keeping me encouraged, extra patient and able to best serve those often formidable, very dangerous men out of compassion.
  • Of course, in the psychiatric mileu, one best not admit to Seeing such Visions, lest their keys are  taken away and they become the patient ...
My Mari Renmen EtenelJean Baptist Bokor, taught and empowered me as a Vodou Bokor.
So my Voodou experience and spiritual practices are a melding of  both New Orleans Creole Voudou and Haitian Vodou together.  

Also inspired by the of inspirations of Rev. Mother Denise Alvarado, and my acknowledgement that my Path in relation to Marie Laveu is one of discipleship - so I am truly an American Bokor.


Marie Laveau's Veve
(Design by Denise Alavarado)


My personal story aside, the intention here is to introduce to you the remarkable woman that is Marie Laveau.

But I'm not even going begin attempting to tell you about her.  The best introduction possible is by-way of an amazing new book - thoroughly researched, and written with enormous respect and love by one of my favorite authors, Rev. Mother Denise Alvarado.

Denise  - in my eyes - is very possibly the most Laveau-like living Voodoo Queen I've encountered.  She serves the world in so many ways - with her knowledge, writings and empowered artistic creations - it's really overwhelming.


Rev. Mother Denise Alvarado
(From her Amazon Authors Profile)
  • I'm neither paid to endorse Ms. Alvarado, nor do I have a crush on her (I'm 101% Gay, doncha know)...

Her newly-available book is entitled The Magic of Marie Laveau: Embracing the Spiritual Legacy of the Voodoo Queen of New Orleans.  
It is available in hardcopy, Kindle and Nook  editions.
Copyright © 2020 by Denise Alvarado

This is not your ordinary, average biography!

It is presented within the framework of Marie Laveau as a magickally powerful Voodoo Priestess, a story told with a delicacy of strength rare in such books ... and superbly blends authentic history while incorporating an obviously experience-informed analysis of - and easily understood instructions for performing - some of the authentic Magicks of Maria Laveau.

Readers are also invited to become genuine devotees of Madame Laveau - complete with philosophical and ethical considerations and instructions for venerating her as a Lwa.

I'm tempted to call this awesome book Denise Alvarado's Zenith Achievement, but she is surprisingly young for having accomplished so much so far, and has never ceased to amaze me with new and wonderful teachings as time has passed.

I hope you'll give yourself the gift of getting to know Marie Laveau by taking the journey afforded in reading this most excellent book ... I promise, it will be a great adventure!

Bondye Ou,
Dieudonne Bokor



Copyright © 2020, Dieudonne Bokor (aka W.A. Ryan)